How High Tech Home is Your Home?
If the latest technology or entertainment options are important in your new home, add the following questions to your buyer’s checklist.
1. Are there enough jacks in every room for cable TV and high-speed Internet hookups?
2. Are there ample telephone extensions or jacks?
3. Is the home pre-wired for home theater or multiroom audio and video? Does it have in-wall speakers?
4. Does the home have a local area network (LAN) for linking computers?
5. Does the home already have wiring for DSL or another high-speed Internet connection?
6. Does the home have multizoning heating and cooling controls with programmable thermostats?
7. Does the home have multiroom lighting controls, window-covering controls, or other home automation features?
8. Is the home wired with multipurpose in-wall wiring that allows for reconfigurations to update services as technology changes?
To rate the home on its technological sophistication, fill out the Consumer Electronics Association’s TechHome checklist at www.ce.org/techhomerating.
Reprinted from REALTOR® magazine (REALTOR.org/realtormag)
with permission of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®.
Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.